Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Top foods that make me feel good

After years of eating food that makes me feel bad, I decided to do some major revamping to my kitchen stock. I now choose foods that are filling and full of nutrients that help my body perform its best. I workout five times a week, so I need foods that are high in protein. Studies show that most people do better on high protein diets because it gives you a lot of energy and helps your brain.

The first power food is cheap and packed with protein. It also is good brain food. EGGS are versatile in the ways they can be prepared. In fact there are 100 ways to cook an egg. Whats your favorite way? Personally I prefer my eggs over medium with a dash of salt and pepper on top of toasted Naan.

NUTS. Also a protein-rich food, this food couldn't be easier to eat. Nuts make a great on the go snack, especially if you have a handful before or after a workout. Note: salted, roasted, glazed, etc minimizes the health benefits when added to nuts. My nut of choice: raw almonds.

BLUEBERRIES. These antioxidant queens are not only super tasty but they are one of the best foods you can eat. Fresh are better than frozen, but both are good for you. I like fresh blueberries in my oatmeal with a little flax seed and stevia or in a chocolate flavored protein shake mix.

TURKEY. Rich in thiamine, turkey has natural relaxing properties. Thats why everyone gets tired after dinner on Thanksgiving. Don't get me wrong, turkey won't make you fall asleep when eaten in a well-balanced meal. Usually on Thanksgiving, we are also dealing with an overabundance of calories and a high sugar intake which both contribute to feeling lethargic. Turkey alone or as part of a healthy meal will relax you without making you feel sluggish. Not to mention the protein and low fat attributes will be much appreciated by your body.

No comments:

Post a Comment